Divorcing Couples living together during lockdown
Due to the impact of the Covid19 pandemic, divorcing or separating couples are often having to live together, and spend much more time with each other, whilst the divorce proceedings are ongoing. This inevitably means added pressure for what is already a stressful time.
Here are some tips to help you through divorce and living together during lockdown:
- Think about the children and try to be as amicable as possible. Children can pick up on any atmosphere in the home.
- Don’t discuss the divorce or anything which will cause conflict. This can be difficult but it is best to leave these conversations for mediation or for the lawyers dealing with the case.
- Respect each other’s privacy, knock before entering bedrooms, check before entering the bathroom, don’t listen in on telephone conversations etc
- Respect each other, avoid making any derogatory comments
- Give each other space, if the size of your house allows, each have a room that you can enjoy without the interruption of the other person
- Come up with an interim plan in respect of finances, but only if you are able to do so in a positive and proactive way. Ensure that the children are not present.
- Keep to agreements, wherever possible, to avoid conflict.
- Be sure to make the most of your daily outdoor exercise. Not only does this provide the opportunity to spend some time away from the house, exercise has well recognised mental health benefits which are very important at this time,
To speak to one of our experienced family solicitors in relation to Divorce or Separation, please contact us by telephone or using our online enquiry form.